We are essential, and so are you! Our firm is still OPEN for business and accepting new clients. To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering new and current clients the ability to meet with us in-person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

July 2019 Archives

Getting a green card as the child of a diplomat

Those who are born in Illinois or any other state to a foreign diplomat may be entitled to receive a green card. A diplomat can be an ambassador, counselor or any other individual who has diplomatic status with the United Nations. Furthermore, children of diplomats must have resided in the United States since birth and maintained that residence prior to applying for their green card. Those who ask for permanent residency in the United States must give up their diplomatic immunity.

Understanding U.S. immigration rules for temporary performers

It's common for entertainers and artists from other countries to come to Illinois to perform. Given the current climate regarding immigration, there can be confusion as to how those who are entering the United States as performers will be treated. Adhering to the law based on the required P-2 classification is critical to avoid legal violations.

Changes coming to religious worker visa program

Religious workers in Illinois, including ministers, may be eligible to apply for a specific type of employment-based visa. Called an EB-4, or employment-based fourth-preference visa, this option can enable religious workers to immigrate to the U.S. or adjust their status once they are in the country. It requires them to have a full-time, compensated job in their religious profession for acceptance. While there is no cap on this visa program for ministers, a cap has been in place for non-minister religious workers of 5,000 special immigrant visas per year.

Green card processing times and status changes

Getting married or divorced may change the wait time for a green card for some Illinois people. This was the case for one man whose mother, a U.S. citizen from the Philippines, had filed an immigrant petition for him in 2005 when he was unmarried. As the unmarried adult child of a citizen, this placed him the category "First Preference".

Email Our Firm

Contact The Firm For a Free Initial Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy