Protecting Your Family And Future

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Relocation/Removal Of Child

Effective Legal Representation Regarding Relocation

Few things are more emotionally trying for a parent than the prospect of an ex with custody or primary parenting time relocating to a different state. These cases are known as interstate removals, since the custodial parent is seeking to move to a different state with the child.

At the Blacha Law Office, we represent custodial parents (parents who have the majority of the parenting time) in Naperville, Joliet and the surrounding areas who wish to move out of state.

We also represent parents with visitation rights who are opposed to the move. We offer an free consultation to discuss your case.

What You Can Do If The Custodial Parent Wants To Relocate

The court cannot prevent your ex from moving out of state. However, your ex cannot remove your children from Illinois without approval from you or the court.

Relocation/removal cases are often contested. If you and your ex cannot come to an agreement, the court will decide based on the custodial parent’s reasons for the move and how it will affect the best interests of the child. If you are the person seeking the move, it’s important to show why the move is necessary and how it will affect the best interests of your children.

Whether you are seeking a move or wish to prevent one, it is important to contact a skilled lawyer as soon as possible to prepare the strongest possible case.

How Does Relocation Affect Visitation?

If an ex moves out of state with your children, it can affect everything from the amount of time you spend with your children to the amount of child support you pay. We can help you negotiate a new parenting plan to preserve your relationship with your child. For example:

  • You may seek longer periods of visitation during school breaks and summer vacations.
  • You can arrange virtual visitation using Skype and FaceTime.
  • The amount of child support you pay may need to be adjusted to account for visitation/parenting time travel costs.

Prompt Action Is Important

For more information about relocation/removal of a child by a custodial parent, call 630-283-1987 or email the firm. It is important to act as soon as possible in these cases. We have offices in Naperville and Joliet, and we serve clients in DuPage, Will, Cook, Kane and Kendall counties. We are also fluent in Polish.