What Is The Divorce Process Like In Illinois?
Whether you are considering a divorce or you have already filed, you are likely wondering about the overall process. Although divorce is commonplace and you might even have acquaintances or relatives who have gone through it, it is normal to feel some apprehension about what the steps are like.
At Blacha Law Office, LLC, we can set aside any anxiety you have about divorce proceedings. Our experienced family law attorneys have helped thousands of individuals throughout Illinois successfully end their marriages and take the next steps in life.
An Overview Of The Steps
The details of a divorce are different from couple to couple. However, the state requires some of the same general procedures for everyone. If you are filing for divorce in Illinois, the following is a brief overview of what you can expect:
- File a petition for dissolution of marriage at the courthouse in the county where you live.
- Serve your spouse with the divorce papers. The sheriff’s office or a private server can also do this.
- You have the opportunity to negotiate or mediate a private divorce arrangement with your spouse for issues like property division and financial support.
- If you cannot reach an agreement, your case will go to trial.
- A judge will issue a binding divorce order.
- The court will finalize your divorce.
The divorce process can take as little as a few months to well over a year depending on the complexity of your case and how well each side works together to come to an agreement.
Get Our Guidance To Simplify The Steps
The best way to make sure that your divorce goes as quickly as possible is to work with experienced lawyers. We can simplify things for you so that you can focus on your day-to-day life. To request a free consultation with us, please call 630-283-1987 or send us an email to get in touch. We have office locations in Naperville, Joliet, Chicago and St. Charles.